Sunday, October 28, 2007

Dear Family and Friends

Dear Family and Friends,

My beloved Rockies appear to be down for the count but have come a long way as an organization. It is part of life to challenge ourselves and see how we measure up against the best. It allows for growth and maturity. He who does not participate in a fear of failure has already lost and if you must always win to feel satisfaction with self, that speaks more to ego than character. My hats off to the Boston Red Sox, a class organization, who owe much of their success to the talent developed within their farm system. For almost three weeks I let my beard grow afraid to shave less the Rockies lose. Having lost on Monday, I shaved my beard. Rocktober has been a blast and will be filed away with all of my other wonderful baseball memories.

About a month ago, Senator Harry Reid spoke to the student body of BYU during their monthly forum. I think well of the Senator as he is a fellow alumni of Basic High School in Henderson, Nevada. Basic was actually the original name of the city of Henderson, named after the Basic Magnesium plant which brought the town into existence during World War II. In his address he spoke of J. Marlin Walker, a wonderful man with a booming voice, who taught Spanish at the high school when Harry was there as well as I. He was the stake president of my youth and I have vivid memories of listening to him speak, a figure larger than life who didn’t need a microphone to be heard. Memories are wonderful things.

I have been applying for library jobs as spring will be here before we know. The Weld Library District in Greeley is opening up two new libraries: one in Fredrick and another in Erie and UNC has a library technician opening. I have applied for all and hope I get some bites.

With that, I pray all is well with each of you.

Love,

Steve

No comments: