Friday, October 12, 2007

Dear Family and Friends

Dear Family and Friends,


I was especially touched by conference. I was truly moved as Elder Nelson stood behind Elder Wirthlin as he was struggling at the podium. I couldn’t help but think of the admonition to strengthen the feeble knees and to lift one another, sharing one another’s burdens. It was symbolic to me of the grace the Savior’s atonement provides, as it lifts each of us, usually through the service we offer one another. When I think of the Savior I most often picture him as he washed the Apostles feet; it’s all about service. I don’t think there is any other way to come to know how crucial the grace and magnifying power of the Savior’s atonement is in our lives then in lifting one another and recognizing that we do not and cannot stand alone. Our works in and of themselves are not what will exalt us, but they are the manifestation of our faith, the opportunity for us to have the spirit witness unto us the reality of the atonement and the tool by which our compassion and love grows, as we come to recognize how utterly dependent we are on the Savior and our Heavenly for everything we are and have. Service is the daily manifestation of the atonement’s reality and influence in our lives.

Have you ever have a moment in your day when it comes to you, the sweet and reassuring witness of the spirit of the truthfulness of the gospel? I had one of those moments today. I was walking home from the library and a peaceful and inspiring thought came to my mind that the church is true. I’ve had that experience on many occasions and I always appreciate how it makes me feel; a peace and reassurance that comes that cannot be put into words. The knowledge of the reality of the Savior and his atonement and truthfulness of his gospel is a part of me. That knowledge has allowed me to believe in myself even when I really didn’t believe in myself. It has allowed me to pick myself up when I have fallen and to reach higher when I have flourished, but most importantly it has inspired me to know who I am and that I am not alone.

With that I wish you all well and pray all is well with you. Take care.

Love,

Steve

No comments: